Get the skills you need to launch your teaching career.
The Early Childhood through Grade 6 with Science of Teaching Reading and English as a Second Language Supplemental Teacher Certification Program at the University of North Texas is designed for students whose goal is to become a teacher in classrooms from Pre-K through 6th grade. This certification path includes preparation in the Science of Teaching Reading, a new initiative in the State of Texas that prepares teachers to implement instruction in reading, especially with young learners. English as a Second Language course develops knowledge and skills critical to the success of English Language Learners in today’s diverse classrooms.
The fully redesigned degree program associated with this certification features:
- A program vision focuses on equity-oriented, anti-racist, and humanizing pedagogies as represented in a set of core commitments for both faculty and teacher candidates.
- Opportunities for undergraduates to choose a specialization area. Specializations offer deep, focused exploration in an area of interest. Options include Early Childhood Education; STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, Mathematics); Language, Literacy and Activism; Inclusive Education; Ethnic Studies in Education; International Studies in Education; and Interdisciplinary Studies.
- Begin foundational coursework in education earlier during Freshman and Sophomore years as students complete their general core requirements.
- Expanded opportunities for field experiences in actual classrooms and a variety of learning contexts starting early in the program and continuing through clinical teaching.
- Choose from an increased number of electives based on interest with courses designed to allow students to explore topics more deeply or to learn about new and exciting concepts.
Request More Information
Specialization Areas Available at UNT at Frisco
Ways to Connect with an Education Advisor
Virtual Drop-In (no appointment required, 15 minutes):
Every Monday and Thursday 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Please sign in with your full first and last name.
In-Person Frisco Drop-In (no appointment required, 15 minutes):
Every Monday and Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Check-in at the front desk in Hall Park A
Virtual Appointment (30 minutes): Click here to schedule an appointment.